In 1935, Palazzo Tergesteo was put under the protection of the Sovrintendenza alle Belle Arti (Italian government department responsible for monuments and other treasures) as “building of artistic importance and interest”. Two years later, the Triestine engineer Orazio Sturli made a plan for a radical renovation of the arcade, but it was not carried out due to the start of World War Second. In 1953, the building owners had the 5,000 sq. m of the façade restored and repainted, meeting the style requests of the Sovrintendenza alle Belle Arti, which imposed a dusty yellow colour for its “relaxing and pleasant effect”.
In 1957 the new arcade was inaugurated, designed by the Triestine architect Alessandro Psacaropulo, who included a flattened barrel vault and a central glass dome. The city life slowly got back to normal and the arcade, with its elegant shops, became a meeting place for the citizens.
In 2009 an accurate renovation brought Palazzo Tergesteo back to its original greatness, creating 20 shops and 80 apartments for office and residential use. The shops are now distributed over approximately 4,000 sq. m in the “Galleria Tergesteo” arcade.
The building has four floors, plus the ground floor and the mezzanine, with attics apartments located on the fourth floor.
The renovation core consisted in restoring the arcade in its original nineteenth century version. The mezzanine heightened ceiling makes it perfect for commercial use, on the model of the French passages.